Prophetic Truth Lessons
Lesson 05 - God's Solution to the Sin Problem - 3
The Goal of these lessons is to present
the TRUTH as it is in Jesus.
The book of Revelation is a revelation of Jesus.
What great themes are hidden in the prophetic
language of Scripture?
We hope you learn more about Jesus, His
character and his plan for your life.
It was in the sanctuary service that God taught His people the purpose of the soul temple (See 1 Corinthians 3:16-17) and His method of dealing with sin. In order to understand what was meant by the term “cleansing of the sanctuary,” we will take a brief look at the sanctuary and its service.
1. Why did god command Moses to make a sanctuary? Exodus 25:8
2. Besides the courtyard, how many parts did this sanctuary have? Exodus 26:33
3. What three pieces of furniture were contained in the Holy Place, also called the first compartment?
Hebrews 9:2; Exodus 40:22-26
4. What was contained in the Most Holy Place, also called the second compartment?
Exodus 26:33, 34_____________________________________
5. Who went into the first compartment, and how often?
6. When a person sinned and desired pardon, what was he to do?
Leviticus 4:27-29 ____________________________________
NOTE: The person himself had to slay the animal, but before he did this, he placed his hands on the head of the animal and confessed his sins there. In this way, he symbolically transferred his sins to the animal. The animal then became his substitute and died for his sins.
7. What was then done with the blood?
8. When this was done, what was to be done with a part of the meat of the animal?
Leviticus 6:25, 26_____________________________________
NOTE: By eating of the meat, the priest then bore the sins that had been confessed over the head of the animal.
9. When, however, it was a priest who had sinned, what was to be done with part of the blood?
Leviticus 4:3, 5-7_____________________________________
NOTE: In taking the blood of the animal in to the sanctuary the priest transferred his sin directly into the sanctuary.
10. Following the round of yearly services and the accumulation of the sins of the people in the sanctuary, what service took place?
Leviticus 16:29, 30; 23:27______________________________
11. Why was this atonement necessary?
NOTE: Until this point the service had been concerned with the removal of the sins from the people and their transfer to the sanctuary. This service was to remove the sins from the sanctuary, thus cleansing it from the accumulated sins.
12. On the Day of Atonement two goats were taken and lots were cast between them. What were the two goats?
Leviticus 16:5, 7, 8____________________________________
13. What was done with the Lord’s goat?
NOTE: Entering the sanctuary with the blood of the goat, the priest passed into the second compartment, or Most Holy Place. There, in the presence of God, he atoned for the sins of all the people which had been accumulating there throughout the year.
14. After the priest had atoned for the sins in the Most Holy Place, the sins remained upon him. What did he do next?
Leviticus 16:20, 21____________________________________
NOTE: It should be noted that the sins which were placed upon the head of the scapegoat had already been atoned for by the blood of the Lord’s goat, and that once the sins were place upon the scapegoat, he was removed from the people never to return. The sins were in this way separated forever from the sanctuary. The scapegoat was a type of Satan, the originator of al sin, who will eventually bear the sins which God’s people have confessed and which have been atoned for by the blood of Jesus.
15. While this was going on, what was required of the people?
16. Of what was the earthly sanctuary and its services a type?
Hebrews 8:4, 5; 9:8, 9_________________________________
Note: If there was a sanctuary of the old covenant, does the new covenant have a sanctuary also? In the book of Hebrews we find that it does, and that the earthly sanctuary was a type, or example, of this heavenly one. See Hebrews 8:2, 5, 6. We are also told that, just as the earthly sanctuary was cleansed, so is the heavenly sanctuary. See Hebrews 9:23. In the next study we will look more at this cleansing and its relation to the judgment.